The Mission Statement of the Beta Phi Chapter of Sigma Chi Fraternity
“The ideals we pursue determine who we are and what we will become.”
- What personal qualities and goals should the Beta Phi Chapter of Sigma Chi Fraternity foster and help instill in its members?
- The Beta Phi Chapter of Sigma Chi Fraternity should complement and enhance the educational mission of the University of Arizona. Our Fraternity is committed to fostering a close cooperative partnership with all colleges and universities where chapters exist. Our Fraternity should promote and foster academic achievement and excellence in each member to achieve his academic potential. By helping members adjust and thrive in the college environment, we can help them pursue their degree goals. Co-curricular activities can be as valuable as the classroom experience. Hence, our Fraternity should promote involvement such that our members may contribute and benefit from the varied aspects of campus life.
- Our Fraternity should promote the ideal of Brotherhood. The creation of life-long friendships is a primary benefit of Fraternity membership. Our Fraternity fulfills the need of students to belong to an extended family and frequently provides the opportunity to enhance those personal relationships through group living situations. As Brothers, our members have an obligation to have a caring concern for the welfare of our members. Brotherhood is a lifetime commitment; therefore, we should encourage strong alumni-undergraduate relationships for the mutual benefit of the students and the alumni and long- term success of the Chapter.
- Our Fraternity should actively contribute to the personal growth and development of its members. We teach young men social skills that will benefit them throughout their lifetime. The multitude of leadership opportunities available through the Fraternity prepares members for success in their chosen careers. Chapters should organize well-rounded programs and strive for excellence and quality in all undertakings.
- Our Fraternity should promote ethical behavior and decision-making. The lessons taught from Fraternity ritual should be incorporated into the daily lives of the members. A Sigma Chi is expected to act as gentlemen at all times, and the Fraternity must demand the highest standards of personal conduct.
- Our Fraternity should instill a sense of personal responsibility and integrity in each member. The dignity of all persons shall always be respected. Intolerant or abusive behavior cannot and will not be tolerated.
- Lastly, our Fraternity should encourage and provide avenues of service to others. Members, individually and collectively, should work toward the betterment of their campus and their community. In so doing, members will contribute to the betterment of themselves and bring honor and distinction to our Fraternity.